January 04, 2007

Good-bye to Cape Town, for Now. On to Kenya.


I have finished my work at Baphumelele, for now, but it, and the children there, will not leave my heart, my thoughts, and my prayers. Tomorrow, Friday, January 5th, I leave for Nairobi and will begin work as the Millennium Cities Representative for Kenya, something for which I am very excited. I have spent since New Years thinking about my last month+ here in Cape Town, and at Baphumelele, and nothing but scattered words come to mind (and, I'm too lazy to write complete sentences right now)…

Mountains against bright blue sky, or blanketed with clouds, in Cape Town. Beautiful sunsets, in Khayelitsha.

Electricity wires. Fires. Trapped. Free.

Tiny hands. Helping hands. Painted hands. Pick-pockets.

Sitting on the beaches of Clifton. Climbing the paths of Table Mountain, and Lions Head. Paragliding, or trying to, if the winds would cooperate. Diving, or trying to, if the sharks would appear.

Nelson Mandela. Rosie Mashale.

Lots of Nescafe. Freshly Ground. Lots of wine. Bottles.

District Six. Batting for a six.

Cool Runnings. Running around University of Cape Town.

Bunk beds. Bed bugs. Flower beds at Kirstenbosch. Beads.

Mice. Cockroaches. Seals. Penguins.

Homesick. Childrens’ Home. Finding home. Holidays.

Adoption. Jayney.

Volunteers. Lynn. Hannah. Marta. Jen. Nicole. Michelle. Duncan. Heather. Katie.

Children. Patience. Jessica. Okuhle. Luthando. Sunshine. Whitey. Ashemale. Shakes. Nenana. Sinazo. So many others…

(Pictured: me, looking a bit haggard and in the same brown outfit I wore every shift, and Sinazo)

--Will be back with a posting as soon as possible from Kenya!
Posted by Picasa