January 26, 2007

Back to Baphumelele for a Moment


I have a request from you. Since leaving Cape Town, I have been in touch with Baphumelele and have learned that the vendor which supplies all of Bap’s fruit and vegetables has cut off its donation because of funding problems. The amount of veggies and fruit supplied, as I explained in some of my past postings, was not that great in the first place, but at least it was something. We have figured out that supplying the 80 children of Bap with GOOD fruits and vegetables, on a daily basis, for the year would cost $7,500. I told them I would help raise this money. I already have $500 in. Whatever you can contribute would be fantastic – everything counts! Even if you aren’t a fan of fruits & vegetables (my fast food loving friends), these kids desperately need them!

Here’s how you can donate to Bap, in South Africa, and get a US tax deduction. US donations can be routed to Bap through the South African Development Fund in Boston. They do not take out any money for themselves, other than a small processing fee for credit cards. The money will go straight to Bap. To make a donation to Bap, do the following:

--Go to www.sadevelopmentfund.org. Click on “Donate Now.”

--Using a credit card, click on “Network for Good” and again on “Donate Now.” There will be a 4.75% processing fee, but your full amount is still tax deductible.

--In the designation field, put “For Baphumelele – Fruits & Vegetables Fund”

--In the dedication field, put “On behalf of Ashley Hufft – Baphumelele volunteer” (I feel odd about that, but its necessary so I can try to track what is coming in from my friends and family).

--All else is self-explanatory, but if not, let me know.

I appreciate your support on this a lot. Its for a rather simple thing, I know, and I realize that next year they will be in the same boat, but I think the childrens’ nutritional needs are critical (obviously) and this is one of the best things I can do for them at the moment, is relatively inexpensive from a fundraising point of view, and concrete. Again, thank you!
Posted by Picasa